Monday, March 1, 2010

Wild Goose Chase...

Well on Saturday February 20, I ran in my first 5K. I honestly don't think I've really run much at all for about 10-ish years, since about 9th grade. I guess it was about time I got my butt into shape, eh? My sister Mary found this particular race and really wanted to run in it even though it was still February and cold and even though it was clear down in Delta, mostly for this reason...it was called The Wild Goose Chase. Delta has a whole goose festival that goes on every year on that weekend because of the wild snow geese that fly in. So anyway, she talked my brother Dan and I into doing it with her. I gave in a little later than Dan and had only 3 weeks to get ready. OF COURSE I spent the middle week of the 3 with a bad head cold and it flat out hurt to run. It felt like my brain and all the cold crap in my head weighed 50 lbs and was sloshing to and fro. So really I had 2 weeks. Yikes! But...I DID IT! I was able to run the whole time and finish in 33 minutes, coming in 5th in my age group. Not the best, I know, but not too bad for 2 weeks of preparation either. I was proud of myself and Mary and Dan too! It felt really good! I didn't even end up with terrible sore muscles which I was totally shocked by. Yay! So anyway, it was really fun especially to do it with a couple of my siblings! Here we are before...

Just getting started...(you can see Dan here but not Mary or I. He went way ahead of us and got 1st in his age group, so he got a metal that said "Wild Goose Chase" on it)

Here I am coming to the finish...the goofy grin is because Steve had just asked me if I was able to run the whole way and I was overly excited to say YES!

And here we are after...nice orange slice in the mouth, Dan

See...fun race name huh. lol

5 comments:

Bushman's said...

wow, i am impressed!!

Andrea said...

I have been wanting to do a 5k, but I haven't convinced someone to do it with me... I'm going to make Kyle now lol!

mary said...

I can totally see you in the 2nd picture. you just have to know where to look.
And is that a rhino behind you in the last one? he he

my verification word is rheak (which I think we all did after our run)

Lyndee said...

Congrats!! I am supposed to be running one of those sometime this year. maybe if i actually picked one it might help me train better with a set date :)

Jennifer said...

Larae you are amazing! I'm so proud of you! My goal this year is to run a 5K! You will be inspiration for me! I love reading your blog and seeing little Noah grow!