So today Noah and I had an interesting experience in the Walmart parking lot. We were out loading the trunk when a little, hunched over and scruffy old man asked me in a sad, shaky voice if I had any money to spare for a hamburger or something. I said that I was sorry and honestly had no cash on me. He very nicely said "Well thank you anyway ma'am. You have a nice day." and walked off. I put Noah in his seat and got in the car, but as we started to leave I felt The Spirit come over me and I knew I needed to give him something. So I went through the McDonalds drive-up near by and got a McDouble and a water for a measly $1.08. We then drove around Walmart's parking lot until I spotted him again. I pulled up next to him and handed the burger and water out the window. In a trembling voice (the kind where you're trying to hold tears back) he said "Bless you ma'am." and smiled. I just said "You're welcome" and as I was driving off he started practically inhaling the burger. I just cried and cried on the way home thinking about this poor man. I know that there seriously are people out there that pretend to be needy to make extra cash, but I honestly felt The Spirit tell me that he was really in need. I'm getting emotional again writing about it! I honestly didn't feel any sense of danger, but that he needed someones help. Too bad I didn't have a Book Of Mormon with me, I could have slipped it in the bag with his burger or something. :) I wish I didn't complain about being "poor" so much. This man made me realize that I have so much to be thankful for!! I'm not really poor, even though it may feel like it at times. It felt so good to spare just a $1.08 to give this guy some food. Serving other children of our Heavenly Father is worth a lot more than just $1.08!
5 comments:
What a cool, cool experience. You are incredible. I'm usually too quick to assume that they're lying, but it's good to be reminded that there are people out there who actually do need help. Thanks Larae!
Wow-what an amazing experience. I truly have such a soft place in my heart for people like that and it makes me wish I could do more. Thanks for sharing that great story!
That is amazing, glad you listened to the Spirit. You probably made that man's whole day!
I totally admire you. I always feel SO horrible when people ask me to spare some cash. I honestly never carry cash. I don't even have a debit card. But you have shown me how I can still help someone in need. Thanks for being a great example to me.
Thanks, I needed that. We are so blessed and it is nice sometimes to have the spirit so strong to remind us of all of our blessings.
Post a Comment